Monday, November 22, 2010

I am happy to report that I know the definitions of all of the top ten words that people look up on Merriam-Webster.com. I'm thinking about signing up for the "word of the day" email notification just so that I can wax bombastic in my discourse.

Here are the top ten words according to Merriam-Webster:
1. pretentious
2. ubiquitous
3. love
4. cynical
5. apathetic
6. conundrum
7. albeit
8. ambiguous
9. integrity
10. affect/effect

Interesting commentary on American society that we have to look up the definitions for integrity and love. Typical.

Mom and Dad come into town tomorrow for Thanksgiving break. I had Thanksgiving dinner with my Family Home Evening group. We put a fake fire on the television and provided a full course meal complete with turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, jell-o, apple pie, rolls, green been casserole, and a vegetable platter. The conversation naturally turned to old mission stories and I felt all of my roommates roll their eyes. I couldn't help contributing a story of my own. They rolled their eyes even more.

The sisters' weekend was lovely. I think my favorite part was, surprisingly, going to see the movie together. The cartoon had numerous funny moments, and I laughed heartily--deep, stomach-aching laughter. I feel a deep kinship around the people with whom I can laugh freely. I don't always feel at ease enough to laugh loudly and mirthfully, but I do when I'm around my sisters. Here's to being a family.

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog! You totally made me laugh and I'm am stunned that love & integrity are in the top ten. It's making me feel pretty smart too that I know all those words. Yeehaw!! And yes, I did feel loved to see 10 posts from you on my blog!! :) So, here are few posts back with words that I think are great for you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are acute, astute, bright, brilliant, gracious, keen, and solicitous. I'm not as adroit with words as you are but I'm sure you can catch my drift! Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here are the special words I picked out that remind me of YOU, Jen, Darling Jen. And yes, I did check with both Mirriam & Webster to do this. I love you!

    Adept
    Beautiful
    Conscientious
    Dedicated
    Erudite
    Focused
    Good
    Honorable
    Ingenuous
    Judicious
    Keen
    Lovable
    Mannered
    Nifty
    Obliging
    Perspicacious
    Quintessential
    Reverent
    Sincere
    Temperate
    Unpretentious
    Veracious
    Witty
    Xanthochroid
    Yare
    Zestful

    (now do you feel loved??)

    ReplyDelete