Friday, February 11, 2011

If only.

If I were President of the United States of America I would...
1. Only run for one term.
This makes my lack of popularity with the public irrelevant. My policies may not be popular, but they'll be right. How's that for egotistical?
2. Eliminate as many superfluous government agencies as possible.
That's right. Regardless of how high unemployment rises. I want those people working for the private sector, not stringing up more red tape.
3. Demolish teachers unions.
It's about time the educators in the United States were held up to the basic standards of merit. You can't teach, you get fired.
4. Make voting mandatory and Gerrymandering illegal.
There wouldn't be a big penalty for not voting, just a fine of $50 or so. But making everyone vote will force the candidates to cater to the center which has been alienated because of the political partisanship. People would need to become educated about political issues.
5. Give a $15,000 grant to anyone majoring in the hard sciences.
Enough of this arts stuff. We need some mathematicians.
6. End all wars waged on foreign soil.
Enough said.
7. Make employment a mandatory part of receiving welfare assistance.
I don't care if they work at the local Burger King. They just have to be employed. Oh, and I would limit unemployment benefits to six months. People would have a chance to apply for an extension, but they would have to provide extensive proof that they had been applying for work.
8. Taser seven-year-olds.
Just kidding. That's just a shout out for Brian Regan.

1 comment:

  1. I'm all for tasering 7 year olds. You are making me want to watch Brian Regan again!!
    I agree with abolishing the teachers unions and autoworkers unions. But I don't think it's constitutional to abolish the unions-- I would just make it so it can't be required and you don't have to pay into it. (If Obama is showing time where Congress meets with lobbyists, he better be counting the teachers' union and the autoworkers unions as lobbyists.)

    Don't think I would necessarily promise to be a one term pres. Might not be able to accomplish what I wanted in one term.

    Like the requirement for work with welfare. Might reduce it to trade hours-- for every $500 in aid you have to volunteer or work some set allotment of time to "pay" for your welfare. And I would try to limit actual cash payments as much as possible and give them certain food instead. (Lots of frozen veggies and pasta-- nourishing but not gourmet)

    Wouldn't make voting mandatory-- although I like the concept in theory. I might restructure the vote though so you can't vote on tax issues if you don't pay taxes. If you are on welfare, you don't get to vote yourself new benefits at the expense of the other voters. Although that would be totally unconstitutional! (Why let the Constitution interfere with a genius idea?!)

    Like the idea of the science grant. We definitely need more brainiacs.

    Don't like the foreign soil war. That would have negated World War II even. And the War on Terror. As long as the world is full of bad guys, I think we need an option for war. Incentives to discourage or decrease wars might be nice... Maybe spend a lot more money on intelligence groups and have some grading system that rewards accurate information? I heard the head of the CIA was basing his opinion that Mubarek (sp) from Egypt would step down based on reading the news headlines. Duh!! I can read a newspaper. Head of intelligence guys should be using SPY TOOLS!!

    Now I really need to get my chores done. Sure love you!! Back to the real world now that we've solved all the problems!!

    ReplyDelete